Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Rocket Raccoon Cosplay - Jumpsuit and Gun

Now that you've seen how I made Rocket's armor in the last post, here's all the other tid bits you need to know!

SO, this is the jumpsuit I ordered off of Amazon. The quality was GREAT, it just stretched out a little too much on the butt and boob area, so you could see my bra and undies...NOT CUTE. To remedy this, I found the perfect spanks to wear underneath it!
I got this at Walmart, and let me just say, it was money WELL spent. Not only did it 1) cover up the undies, and 2) keep me warm during our outdoor party, but it 3) made my figure look AMAZEBALLS. I have a feeling this thing will come in handy with future cosplays.

As for the ears and tail, I just went the simple route of buying a set from Spirit Halloween.

Of course, I didn't use the mask, I just did make up for the "raccoon eye" effect. This was the exact set I bought, but my ears didn't seem to be that pointy. All-in-all, it was another great purchase.

As for the black part on the jumpsuit, all I did was buy a plain black t-shirt about 3 sizes smaller than what I would normally wear, and cut it up. You want it super tight so it's not baggy anywhere. There's no exact pattern for how I cut the shirt, but I can tell you my process.

  • First, put on the shirt inside out.
  • Use a white crayon to trace three oblong horizontal "holes" on the torso, and trace the inside seam on the shoulder. 
    • Make sure you have at least 1.5 -2 inches between each "hole" because the fabric will sort of roll once it's cut. This will help keep it from completely rolling up on itself. 
  • Cut out the neck as close to the collar as possible!
  • Cut on the white crayon lines - AS STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE - you won't be able to hide any jagged edges so try to be as neat as possible!
Here's how mine turned out!

Sorry for the messy counter...I'm kind of a mess. 
The length of the shirt was perfect! It covered my butt (which I'm kinda self conscious about) and hugged the jumpsuit nicely. 

Next up was the boots...
I already had a favorite pair of brown knee high boots that I wear all the time. To sort of give the effect of the brown/black fur Rocket has, I paired the brown boots with a pair of black knee high socks. (I know, BROWN AND BLACK CLASH!!! Get over it. It worked :P)

Now then...Time for the Gun:
This was actually the first thing I did for this cosplay. While I was planning and waiting for my jumpsuit to arrive, I decided it would be something good to take up my time. 

I was going to make Rocket's full sized blaster, but seeing as I was going to be wearing this cosplay to a Halloween party, I figured that his blaster would be a little cumbersome to carry around. While snooping around Walmart (yes, Walmart again...There's really nowhere to shop here in Stillwater) I found this awesome Nerf gun for like $15. I liked it because it was big and bulky. Almost like a mini version of Rocket's blaster. 


So, the steps are pretty self explanatory. I primed the whole gun white (except down the barrel, which was too hard to get to), and started with the darkest colors. From there, I added the metallic colors and details for age, wear, battle use, etc. This I actually took step-by-step pictures of! ENJOY!
     





It was hard to get good pictures of the close up detail, but I made the tip of the gun much darker than the rest. WHY you ask? In reference to my painting tips on the Rocket Armor post, I wanted to make the gun look like it was actually used, and burnt by "blaster fire". Because being Rocket, he LOVES to use his guns. 

Last but not least...
The Make Up!
For this, I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do, but I turned to Pinterest to see if I could find an actual picture to follow.
If anyone knows who this cosplayer is, I'd love to give her some credit!! AWESOME make up!
But alas, being in a small college town, you don't have access to really good make up. I mean, we have an Ulta, but being on a college student budget, I'd kinda rather eat than buy makeup. SO, again to Walmart I went. I bought some $1 white eyeliner by NYC (which was shockingly the ONLY white eyeliner I could find). Luckily, I remembered to bring up my Sephora box of goodies that has like 100 eye-shadows in it, and was able to concoct a fairly good formula for a smokey eye. Some black gel liner to outline the white, and I was ready to go!
PRO-TIP* - Not sure if you're aware, but I learned this from a friend who was a dancer. If you spray your face with hairspray after you've applied your makeup, it will seal it and keep it from running! Pretty cool huh?

Here's what my makeup ended up looking like!
My amazing hubby-to-be, Aaron, as Star Lord :3

Questions? Comments? Let me know! Email Kenzie!



No comments:

Post a Comment